11 masterpieces of Monet from the museum collection.
Claude Monet was one of the preeminent Impressionist painters. The Pola Museum of Art houses 19 of the artist’s works, more than any other institution in Japan. In the late 19th century, after moving from place to place along the Seine River basin, Monet arrived at what would be his final abode, located in Giverny on the outskirts of Paris. He continually painted landscapes all over France as well as travel destinations such as London and Venice. Throughout his career, Monet pursued the changing light, which conveys a wide variety of expressions depending on the season and time. In this exhibition, we present 11 masterpieces from the museum collection, including Rouen Cathedral (1892) and Water Lily Pond (1899). The innovative display space, designed by the up-and-coming architect Hideyuki Nakayama, attempts to discover new allure in Monet’s works.
Claude Monet,Rouen Cathedral, 1892 Oil on canvas
Claude Monet,Water Lily Pond, 1899 Oil on canvas
Claude Monet,The Rio della Salute, 1908 Oil on canvas
Born in Fukuoka Prefecture in 1972. Graduated from the Department of Architecture at Tokyo University of the Arts in 1998 before completing a master’s course at the same school in 2000. After working at Toyo Ito & Associates, Architects, Nakayama established his own firm, Hideyuki Nakayama Architecture, in 2007. Since 2014, he has served as an associate professor at Tokyo University of the Arts. Major works include 2004, O House, Y Building, Y House, House and Road, Stone Island’s Stone, Curves and Chords, mitosaya botanical distillery, and Printmaking Studio / Frans Masereel Centrum (collaboration with LIST).
A Music Playlist by Nico Muhly
1. Rouen Cathedral 1892 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
2. Water Lily Pond 1899 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
3. The Rio della Salute 1908 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
4. Haystacks at Giverny 1884 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
5. Houses of Parliament, Symphony in Rose 1900 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
6. Landscape, Varengeville 1882 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
7. Winter in Giverny 1885 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
8. Sunset on the Seine in Winter 1880 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
9. Gladiolus 1881 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
10. Gladiolus 1881 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
11. Sunset at Etretat 1885 Oil on canvas Pola Museum of Art.
Monet : In The Light
Exhibition Design : Hideyuki Nakayama
Opening Hours : 9:00 – 17:00 (Last Admission 16:30)
Organaizer : Pola Museum of Art, Pola Art Foundation
Venue : Pola Museum of Art, Gallery 3
Support : Maruhachi Tent Co., Ltd., ENDO Lighting Corp., ARTERIOR Co., Ltd.
Exhibition cooperation : Hideyuki Nakayama Architecture, Izumi Okayasu Lighting Design Office