The World of Daum Brothers
This installation introduces the Pola Museum of Art collection of Art Nouveau period Daum brothers glasswork masterpieces.
The tradition of Daum studio, established in 1878 by Jean Daum (1825-1885), spans over 130 years. Daum’s Atelier d’Art studio was installed in 1891, when Dome’s son August (1853-1909) assumed management of the business. It was overseen by Jean Dome’s third son Antonin (1864-1931). At around the same time, Emile Gallé (1846-1904), also based in Nancy, France, was gaining recognition through World’s Fairs and other events. Remarkably, Dome brothers garnered the Grand Prix at the Universal Exhibition of 1900, only nine years after the studio was established.
While Gallé’s work is regarded as highly artistic and reflective of knowledge of literary and contemporary Symbolist trends, the bright elegance and beautiful craftsmanship of the Daum brothers designs appealed to a broader range of admirers. Daum brothers glassworks compare well with the more familiar works of Emile Gallé and the Pola Museum of Art is proud to present its full collection of Daum brothers glassworks here for the first time.